Sandra is a curl loving Swiss blogger who discovered her love for curly hair about 4 years ago. Ever since then my curly lovestory continued – I’ve been trying new methods to take care of my curls and have experimented with new curly hairstyles. With this blog I’d like to pass my curly love on to you.
1. How long have you been wearing your hair in its curly/natural state?
I’ve been wearing my hair in a curly state for about 5 years by now. Even before I finally decided to throw away my straightening iron, I had tried to wear my hair curly a few times. Which didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, because back then it used to be really difficult to get information on how to take care of curly hair – there weren’t even any good products for curly hair available in Switzerland. That’s the reason why I’ve only embraced my curls for approximately the past 5 years.
2. Can you summarize your current hair regimen?
My routine actually starts at least 30 minutes before washing my curls, because that’s when I apply the Darshana Indian hair oil by massaging it onto my scalp. After letting it sit on my curls for quite a while, I shampoo using a sulfate-free shampoo. I then use the Kinky Curly Knot Today to detangle my curls and add some silicone-free conditioner to moisturize my curls. After rinsing the conditioner I don’t comb through my curls anymore to make sure they clump nicely. I then finish by applying some styler (I prefer using gels). Before I then diffuse my curls, I plop for a few minutes to get rid of excess moisture. That’s basically it!
3. What are your staple hair products?
As I like to use different products, there are many. In order to be able to choose the ones I really love, I asked myself which products I’d keep if I was only allowed to own five in total. That’s what I came up with:
• CurlJunkie Gentle Cleansing Shampoo: a sulfate free shampoo cleaning your curls while not harming them (e.g. drying them out)
• Kinky Curly Knot Today: the best detangler ever – it has already saved me so much pain while combing my curls
• Curl Junkie Curl Rehab Moisturizing Treatment: a rich deep conditioner giving my curls a moisture kick every now and then
• MopTop Anti-frizz Gel (medium hold): this gel manages to control frizz while still enabling voluminous curls
• Darshana Natural Indian Hair Oil: the secret to shiny and healthy curls, just add a few drops to your curls before washing them.
4. What are your favorite hairstyles?
Any kind of braided hairstyles! I think curls and braids are a perfect match – they simply go together so well, no matter if it’s a dutch braid ending in a bun or a braided half-updo, I just can’t get enough of them.
5. Whose your celebrity curl crush?!
I absolutely adore AnnaLynne McCord for her incredibly voluminous curls. It’s such a pity she hardly ever wears her hair in its curly state…
6. For many naturals it’s a journey to fully understand their hair. It’s a process of trial and error. What was your “Curls Understood™” moment (the moment you felt like, “I’ve got this!” or any essential advice you wish you had known at the beginning of your hair journey)?
That’s difficult to answer, even though I understand my curls quite well, I’m still trying a lot of new techniques to see how my curls react to them. On some days I absolutely love the way my curls look and on other days they just don’t want to behave at all… I think for me it was essential to accept that my curls won’t look the same every day and to not focus too much on their imperfections, but to appreciate and love them just the way they are. Getting there was my “Curls Understood” moment and exactly that’s the advice I’d like to give all the curlies out there: Love your curls!