Originally from Brazil, Hortensia Caires Casazola has the type of curls that’ll stop you dead in your tracks! Hortencia is a multi-talented photographer, blogger (StyleFeen.com) and curl feen who’s now based in New York City. Her curls, plus her great sense of style, make her the perfect candidate for a Concrete Curls feature. See how she keeps herself looking so fly below…
1. What inspired you to start your site Stylefeen.com?
I started doing photography at 15 years old and from that it stemmed into a love for fashion and the need to document it. What inspired me to start Style Feen was my clothing shop. I wanted to showcase the pieces I was selling on myself so people could see how they could rock it as well.
I still run my shop, but with working full time it’s hard to dedicate your time to multiple things. I saw more people gravitating towards my blog so I decided to focus on just providing creative content about my hair journey and style.
2. How would you describe your style in 5 words?
Versatile, monochrome, unpredictable, edgy and athleisure.
3. Where are your favorite places to shop for clothes?
I’m all about a good sale or thrifting! So a lot of times I shop at thrift stores in Brooklyn like Buffalo Exchange, Crossroads and Beacon’s Closet. I also always find myself buying things from Boohoo, H&M and Zara they stay having sales!
4. Who’s behind the camera taking all those wonderful photos of you?
Since I have to make the most out of my time, I’m usually dragging a coworker, my husband or a friend outside to take my picture. A lot of times they don’t even know how to work the camera, so I set the exposure for them and I usually get some great shots. It’s all about giving the right direction and everyone I know are creatives in some form so they’ve got an eye for composition.
5. We love your curls! How long have you been wearing your hair in its curly/natural state?
Thank you! I’ve been strictly natural for 4 years now, I was still straightening here and there, but now I’ve been flat iron free since September 2015.
6. What are your staple hair products?
I like to alternate between product combinations, but right now my must haves are the DevaCurl SuperCream Styler and Bounce Curl Light Creme Gel.
SHOP THE PRODUCTS
7. What are your favorite hairstyles?
I usually like to rock my hair in its natural state so down for the most part. Although I do love me a good bun with my bangs out.
8. For many curly girls it’s a journey to fully understand their hair. It’s a process of trial and error. What was your “Curls Understood” moment (the moment you felt like, “I’ve got this!” or any essential advice you wish you had known at the beginning of your hair journey)?
When I decided to stop straightening my hair every week and only do it maybe 1-2 times a year resulted in me finally having healthy hair. But my “AHA” moment was definitely when I got my curly hair cut by Mona at Muze Salon in NYC. Once I saw what my hair could do I started to educate myself on products, ingredients and curly hair in general.
The second I understood what my curls needed it was only up from there. My advice for my fellow curly beauties is to LEARN how to do your hair and what products to use so you’ll really start to love how it looks. Oh and don’t ever be afraid to ask for help!