My hair is currently in a protective style and Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey Protective Styles Clarifying Scalp Treatment, 6.7 Ounce is excellent at keeping my hair, and particularly my edges, in great shape. While I’ve been wearing crochet braids, I’ve been moisturizing my scalp using this product.
Typically, one of the problems with moisturizing and sealing your hair when it’s in a protective style is the build-up of product especially around my edges. With this product I’ve found build-up to go away and hair to smell like a fresh shampoo and conditioner. Below is my review…
INGREDIENTS AND THEIR PURPOSE
First let me start by describing the active ingredients in this product and what they do:
• Glycerin: A colorless, sweet, viscous liquid formed as a byproduct in soap manufacturing. It’s a humectant that moisturizers and softens the hair.
• Agave Tequilana Stem Extract: From the agave plant. It provides strength, resiliency, and elasticity to the hair.
• Astragalus Gummifier Gum: From astragalus gummifer trees located in southwestern Europe, Greece, Turkey and Iran. It increases the thickness of water portion of the product.
• Benzophenone-4: Protects products from deterioration by absorbing, reflecting, or scattering UV rays.
• Carbomer: Carbomer is a term used for a series of polymers primarily made from acrylic acid. The Carbomers are white, fluffy powders but are frequently used as gels in products.
• Disodium EDTA: Helps preserve the product from going bad/expiring.
You can learn more about what the ingredients in your hair products mean by getting our eBook Know Thy Curls: The Ultimate Product Ingredient Dictionary for YOUR Curls.
I received the product for free at the fashion show so I wasn’t crying about a ding in my wallet. The regular price for the scalp treatment is $12 but it is well worth it. The smell grows on you. At first, I didn’t like it, it ended up giving me a headache but after using it for a while I became accustomed to it.
I tried it on my edges first. My edges have been suffering from extreme build up and look grayish with all the residue. When I placed the treatment on my edges, they felt pretty clean as if I washed it. I tried it on my scalp once a week to keep the residue down until it was time to take out my crochet braids. I massaged it and ended up with a soft, clean scalp.
I would use it for my scalp while having braids, cornrows weaves and wigs. I would be hesitant to use this to completely wash your hair because nothing is as good as a great shampoo and conditioner. Also I would suggest using it after a workout. It takes away the sweat residue left on your hair and makes it seem like it was never there. I’d give this product a nine out of ten.
WHAT IT SAYS ON THE BOTTLE
FOR BRAIDS, WEAVES & BEYOND
We do everything to our hair—braid it, twist it, lock it, weave it—and through it all, we want to protect it. Cool and refresh your scalp when it feels flaky and itchy with this soothing treatment. Made with Mimosa Flower and a blend of Orange and Mint oils, it purifies and exfoliates the scalp and hair, without leaving behind residue. Make this a part of your daily maintenance for clean, healthy hair. No Parabens, No Mineral Oil, No Artificial Colors, No Petroleum.
• Powerful ingredients at work:
• Mimosa Flower
• Mint Oil
• Tea Tree Oil